In Leigh Branham’s terrific book, The 7 Hidden Reasons Employees Leave, he quotes these sound insights from Dee Hock, the founder and former CEO of Visa:
- Hire and promote first on the basis of integrity; second, motivation; third, capacity; fourth, understanding; fifth, knowledge; and last and least, experience.
Hock explains that:
- Without integrity, motivation is dangerous
- Without motivation, capacity is impotent
- Without capacity, understanding is limited
- Without understanding, knowledge is meaningless
- Without knowledge, experience is blind
She concludes that experience is easy to provide and quickly put to use by people with all the other qualities.