If you have an employee who needs to improve his/her performance don’t delay the tough conversation with them.
If you don’t address the issue right now, the employee has little chance to improve and you’ll only get more frustrated.
Most employees want to do a good job. Sometimes they just don’t know they aren’t performing up to the required standards.
Waiting until the employee’s annual performance appraisal to have the tough conversation is unhealthy for you and the employee. So, address the issue now.
- Sit down with your employee in a private setting.
- Look them in the eye.
- First, tell them what they do well.
- Thank them for that good work.
- Then, tell them where they need to improve.
- Be clear.
- Be precise.
- Ask them if they understand, and ask them if they need any help from you on how to do a better job.
Explain to them that your taking the time to have the tough conversation means you care about them. You want them to do better. You believe they can do better. Explain that if you hadn’t had the conversation they would not have had a clear understanding about where they were deficient. And, they would not have had a chance to improve.
Have that tough conversation today. Don’t postpone it. Don’t let a poor performer make you so mad that over time you end up not wanting them on your team.