Here are five important questions you, as a manager and leader, should ask during employee performance reviews:
- What have I done to help – or hinder – your job performance?
- What can I do in the next review period to help you achieve/improve?
- What conditions here enable you – or make it hard – to do your best work?
- What do you want most from your job?
- How can I help you reach your career goals?
I bet most employees have never heard most of these questions from their supervisors on a consistent basis.
Thanks to Sharon Armstrong and Barbara Mitchell for these questions — just some of their great advice from their book, The Essential HR Handbook.