United‘s Vice President for HR-Employee Relations, Donna Towle, says that if co-workers relate to one another within a company culture that fosters:
…then great customer service falls into place.
Equally important for United is listening to its frontline employees. Towle, in an interview featured in the airline’s in-flight magazine, says there can’t be a disconnect between management and the frontlines.
To ensure two-communication is taking place, United:
- Dispatches teams to act as impartial liaisons between leadership and frontline co-workers to ensure that employees have someone in management they can speak to who is neutral and unbiased.
Towle also works with United’s leadership team to help ensure that:
- Management delivers on promises
- Shows appreciation for good work and for extra effort
- Seeks and responds to suggestions and ideas
- Shows interest in employees as human beings